10.28.2009

Martina Galvin



Sky and Earth
Seven mirrors reflecting the sky in the surface of the earth. 4ft x 52ft.

"My impression of the landscape is one of a teeming and active earth: dragonflies, butterflies, grasses and flowers moving and swaying, an undergrowth of constant movement and change. We look down all the time, watching and observing. There in Lough Boora Parklands I observed how big the skies seemed when I stopped looking down and looked up. The skies move constantly too, and rapidly".

"I wanted to capture the vast expansive and fleeting skies, if only temporarily, in the surface of the earth. Its like cutting into the bog to reveal the sky above. It reminds me of the cut black bog pools you see in the bog landscape. Then, when you peer over the edge of the mirrors, it is like looking into a reflective pool. The space between the earth and sky is diminished. Our micro and macro worlds converge in the moment of the reflection".

No comments:

Post a Comment